Friday, April 12, 2019

J and K... Just Keep going (catch up post)

This is a subject I think about a lot.  If I had more time I'd go into more detail about it; but for now I'm just going to do a quick blurb. 

I think it is REALLY important to keep copies of your old work around; be it art or something else.  It gives you an easy measure stick for your life, in 2 ways- 1 it let's you know where you've been, and how far you've come but 2 it also let's you know that wherever you are; you can always improve.

When I started college I'd always been a 'talented' artist; I have hundreds of drawings from as young as 18 months to prove it.  That talent though didn't mean I didn't have to work to improve my ability.  

I started my university path about 8 years ago, right after my first kid had been born.  I don't have easy pregnancies and with him I had carpel tunnel so bad that I lost most of the mechanical use of my hands.  At the time I was frustrated but wasn't worried- I was drawing as a hobby I wasn't pursuing it as a career.  You never know how much you love a thing until it is taken away I guess; I realized I didn't want to do web design professionally or even graphic design (at the time you could get away with lesser drawing skill in that field).  I realized after taking a few foundational art classes for my graphic/web design major that I wanted to Illustration.  And I was HORRIBLE at it. 

Thankfully I had professors that could see my passion for it- and they encouraged and helped me as I relearned how to use the finer motor functions of my hands.  These first 3 drawings are from my first year in Illustration- so about 8 years ago. 

This next Drawing is from 3 years ago
this one is from this past fall

this last one I basically drew on a bit of a whim 2 days ago

I'm to the point where I have enough skill and ability that I can draw pretty much whatever however I want.  It has been a long road, but it has been worth it.  I still have things I want to improve, but I know with time and effort I will improve them.
Alicia Hawks

No comments:

Post a Comment