Friday, April 5, 2019

E is for eye!

(For the benefit of first timers: For this years challenge I've given myself a personal improvement project of doing a 30 minute digital 'speed' paint each day.  My goal is 2 fold: to become a faster digital painter and to figure out a way to paint that doesn't look digital.  I can paint digitally; and pretty well; but it has the LOOK of a digital painting, so I'm trying to improve on that.).

here is a 30 minute 'painting' of an eye. 

I tried kind of a digital alla prima approach with this one. I think if I were to paint for longer than 30 minutes I could really make this look nice.  As it is; it looks ok.  The eye kept drifting to the 'CBS eye' look... but I tried to keep it from doing that. 

anyway.  This was fun; and I don't totally hate today's speed painting. 

I have decided that next year I'm going to paint something I'm good at for this challenge rather than do a self improvement challenge lol.  it is a little embarrassing to post these fast practice pieces.  BUT I think it is worth doing and It is forcing me to try new things; so there is that.
If I were to spend more time on it I'd fix the eye shape a bit, add some more dark tones; it is very bright right now; and refine some of the edges.  All things to keep in mind for tomorrow.

Anything you think would be a cool subject to paint tomorrow?  Leave your F suggestions in the comments.  OR if you have an idea for another letter- you can suggest those as well.

Alicia

7 comments:

  1. I used to draw a picture for each letter of the A to Z, but this year I'm just using photos (ok I might use an old picture later on). Good luck with the journey to Z, creating artwork for each letter is a big ask

    Rob Z Tobor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea it is... I'm sorta regretting it. But I do warm up drawings anyway; so it's not to far away from the norm. Thanks for coming!

      Delete
  2. This is really good, better than I could do in hours lol. My F suggestion is a fish
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drew a fish!! it's a quick drawing; but hey still fishy!
      Thanks for dropping by :D

      Delete
  3. I'm fascinated by this - both the challenge you've set for yourself and the drawing you produced. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you come back. This week I'm probably going to be a little lazy on the challenge (it is my Anniversary on Friday and we're actually doing something for it) but next week I'll be back to the speed painting/drawing. :D

      Delete
  4. I teach art classes to high school kids and one of the most challenging things we do is when we break down all the components of a realistic human face and practice them (eyes, noses, mouths, ears...).

    Nice work!

    Thanks, and best wishes!
    Cherdo
    Cherdo on the Flipside
    Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge

    ReplyDelete