Monday, April 7, 2014

F is for Figure!

Ok- so today I don't have an artist- not that I couldn't find one (Jon Foster- go check him out). I just haven't had time all day to do any more research beyond 'go look at his amazing stuff'; but I have been working in my figure drawing sketchbook today.

I've been having trouble filling pages in my sketchbook because I take to much time on each page- a friend of mine has suggested several times that I just set a timer.  Today she said it like 15 times so I sheepishly agreed- largely because the end of the semester is rather quickly approaching and I've GOT to fill up my sketchbook.

So I did five 30 minute sketches today, and surprise surprise, putting the time limit on myself actually made me work faster... go figure... and I mean that in more than just- I had to stop when the timer went off- but I actually started putting down the shape and figure a lot faster because I had to get it done in a certain time limit.

What I learned today: If I want to get to be a better artist I need to time myself so that I am pressured to draw better and faster.  Weird huh?

Well- here they are- the 5 from today.






They appear in the order I did them- as you can see the images improved in some ways as I went farther (in others not so much...)  I also learned today (and this is something that became really obvious when I scanned them all in) I need to measure the head better- granted I wasn't going for strict realism... but my heads are still WAY To big for the bodies.  SO that'll be something I'll work on tomorrow.  

'night all
~Alicia

6 comments:

  1. Your figure drawing is that of a fashion artist. beautiful :)

    Saying hi from A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Setting a time limit to your sketches is a decent idea, and those drawings are fab!

    Teaching English with Mr. Duncan
    A-Z of hotels

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look pretty good! I'm doing the same thing with book covers. It's tough, but it's a good challenge! Keep it up!

    http://www.frankiesbookshelf.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the dancing ones the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! You drew those? They are amazing! I especially love the last three. You truly are talented!

    ReplyDelete