Tuesday, April 28, 2015

X is for Xerces blue butterfly

Ok... so today is a bit of a stretch...

Blue-Butterfly Day

    By Robert Lee Frost

It is blue-butterfly day here in spring,
And with these sky-flakes down in flurry on flurry
There is more unmixed color on the wing
Than flowers will show for days unless they hurry.

But these are flowers that fly and all but sing:
And now from having ridden out desire
They lie closed over in the wind and cling
Where wheels have freshly sliced the April mire.

OK- so here is a picture of the Xerces Blue Butterfly:


It is an extinct butterfly- thanks to the settling of an area in California (I knew this an hour ago and am to lazy to look it up again...)  It is kinda sad; but we do know what it looked like thanks to some bug collectors back in the day.  

I did a rough sketch of this earlier; but honestly it's not really that great of quality; so it's been added to the pile of drawings I need to catch up on :P.

I mostly did yard work and laundry today- so I think I'm caught up on everything enough that I can spend tomorrow drawing bugs.  :D

~Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment